Mr. B Promoted to Lieut. & first putting on His Uniform - Plate 7
- Part Of:
Collective Title: The Progress of a Midshipman Exemplified in the Career of Master Blockhead in Seven Plates & Frontispiece
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 7/16 x 11 5/16 inches (21.5 x 28.8 cm), Image: 6 9/16 x 10 inches (16.7 x 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper right: "59", in red pencil, upper right: "59"; on back, in graphite, lower right: "55551/8 £120"
Lettered, upper center: "Mr. B. Promoted to Lieu:t & first putting on his Uniform"; upper right: "P.7."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) G Cruikshank Sculp.t"; lower center: "Some are born great, some atchieve greatness' Twelfth Night ___"; lower right: "Pub/d by G Humphrey 27 St James's St London 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- audience | carpet | daughters | dog (animal) | family | father | fittings | genre subject | illustration | midshipman | mirror | mother | painting (visual work) | servants | soldier | son | sword | tricorn | uniform
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Mr. B Promoted to Lieut. & first putting on His Uniform - Plate 7, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.