Frontispiece: The Progress of a Midshipman
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/2 x 11 3/8in. (21.6 x 28.9cm), Plate: 10 1/16 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35.5 cm), Image: 6 15/16 x 10 1/8 inches (17.6 x 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, upper right: "52"; in red pencil, upper right: "52"; on back, in graphite, lower right: "55551/8"
Lettered, center right: "The Proress of a | MIDSHIPMAN. | exemplified in | the career of | Master Blockhead | in seven plates."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) _invt_~"; lower center: "Pub.d by G Humphrey 27th St. James's St. London June 1820"; lower right: "G Cruikshank Sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | boats | clouds | cupola | Frontispiece | genre subject | hats | illustration | ladder | leisure | marine art | men | meteorology | midshipman | midshipmen | ocean | officers | sail | sailboat | science | sea | seamen | ship | shipwreck | sky | storm | swimming | uniforms | waves (natural events)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Frontispiece: The Progress of a Midshipman, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.