- Stipple engraving and etching, hand colored on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 1/4 x 13 1/4 inches (41.3 x 33.7 cm), Plate: 14 x 10 15/16 inches (35.6 x 27.8 cm), and Image: 12 1/16 x 10 1/16 inches (30.7 x 25.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "P2816/12"
Lettered, black ink, center left along image: "W. Hamilton R.A. Pinx.t"; center right along image: "F. Bartolozzi R.A. Sculp.t"; lower left: "Should I my steps turn to the rural seat, | There well-pleas'd, I might the various polity survey | Of the mixt houshold kind, The careful hen | Calls all her chirping family around,"; lower center: "MARCH. | London, Publish'd Aug.st. 20.th 1793, by Tho.s Macklin, Poets Gallery, Fleet Street."; lower right: "Fed and defended by the fearless cock, | Whose breast with ardour flames, as on he walks, | graceful and grows defiance. | Vide. Thompsons Spring."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barn | baskets | bowl | buckets | bull | cages | chickens | chicks | clouds | costume | etching (printing process) | farm | genre subject | hats | hay | men | rooster | spring | Spring, 1728 by James Thomson (1700-1748) | stipple engraving | Thomson, James (1700–1748), poet | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), March, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.