The High Street, Southampton
- Lithograph with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 13/16 x 18 3/4 inches (37.6 x 47.7 cm) and Image: 11 7/8 x 17 inches (30.2 x 43.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "P2426/2 | P242 (crossed out)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Drawn from Nature by R. Scruton, 1827"; lower center: "On Stone by L Haghe | THE HIGH STREET, SOUTHAMPTON. | [coat of arms] | This View is with Permission Dedicated to the Worshipful the Mayor & Corporation of Southampton by their most Obliged humble Servant, | Pubd. Octr. 1828, by H. Buchan, Proprietor of the Hants Picture Gallery, Southampton."; lower right: "W. Day lithog 17 Gate St London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | architecture | balconies | barrels (containers) | baskets | bonnets (hats) | boxes (containers) | boys | buildings | cargo | carriages | children | city | cityscape | coats | cobblestone | columns (architectural elements) | costume | frock coats | genre subject | girls | hats | horses (animals) | labor | men | modesty | road | shawls | shopping | sidewalks | signs | staffs (walking sticks) | steeples | storefronts | stores | street | street lamps | tail coats | talking | tools | top hats | town | tricorne | trousers | turrets (towers) | walking | wheelbarrow | whips (animal equipment) | women | workers | working
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Hampshire | Southampton | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Day & Haghe, 1824–1913, British, The High Street, Southampton, 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.