- Near Ambleside
- Watercolor and brown and gray ink with gum on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 x 9 1/8 inches (15.2 x 23.2 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 8 3/4 x 11 3/4 inches (22.2 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower left: "F. Towne | delt 1786 No 4"; in brown ink, verso, upper left: "No 4 | Near Ambleside | drawn on the spot | August 7th 1786 | by | Francis Towne"
Signed and dated in black ink, lower left: "F. Towne | delt 1786 No 4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge (built work) | hills | landscape | men | river | road | sky | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, p. 63, no. 71, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Towne, 1740–1816, British, Near Ambleside, 1786
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.