View of the Rhydaer
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor and black ink over graphite on medium slightly textured cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 14 3/4 inches (29.8 x 37.5 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 15 3/8 x 18 3/8 inches (39.1 x 46.7 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "F. Towne. | delt. 1777. No. 6"; in brown ink, verso, upper center: "Distyll y Rhaiadr, | The stream divides the country's of Denbighshire, & Montgomery, & | the Lordship of Paris, & Chisk, the perpendicular height from which it falls is 240 feet. | Drawn 1777 by Francis Towne."
Watermark: Fleur-de-lis (similar to Heawood 1849)
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "F. Towne. | delt. 1777. No. 6"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cattle | cliff | geology | landscape | mountain | rocks (landforms) | science | waterfall
- Associated Places:
- Llanrhaedr-ym-Mochnant | Pistyll Rhaeadr | Powys | United Kingdom | Wales
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest: