Edward Courtney, Earl of Devonshire
- Etching on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 x 9 3/16 inches (30.5 x 23.4 cm), Plate: 7 13/16 x 5 1/16 inches (19.9 x 12.9 cm), and Image: 6 7/16 x 4 3/4 inches (16.4 x 12 cm)
Lettered, lower right under image: "T. Chambars sculp."; lower center: "EDWARD COURTNEY Earl of DEVONSHIRE. | From an Original by S.r Antonio More, at the Duke of Bedford's at Woburn. | En! Puer ac insons, et adhuc juvenilibus annis, | Annos bus septem carere dausus eram. | Me Pater his tenuit vinvlis, quce Filia solvit; | Sors. mea sic tandem vertitur a Superis."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | building | castle | curls | earl | figure | gaze | man | moustache | portrait | posing | ruff | vest
- Associated Places:
- Devon | Devonshire | England | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Courtenay, Edward, first earl of Devon (1526–1556), nobleman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Chambars, ca. 1724–1789, British, Edward Courtney, Earl of Devonshire, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.