The Castle Rhine
- Part Of:
- Line engraving, engraver's proof on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 12 11/16 × 9 3/8 inches (32.2 × 23.8 cm), Plate: 9 1/8 × 6 15/16 inches (23.2 × 17.6 cm), Chine collé: 8 5/8 × 6 1/2 inches (21.9 × 16.5 cm), and Image: 3 × 4 inches (7.6 × 10.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.431(b)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Before shading on water inside timber rafts was prolonged and before rays added round sun"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Turner | [hog] | Engravers Proof | 10/6"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "Rhine"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | landscape (environment) | river
- Associated Places:
- Germany | Gutenfels Castle | Kaub | Rhine | Rhineland Palatinate
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Francis Finden, 1791–1857, British, The Castle Rhine, 1833
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.