- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 x 10 11/16 inches (36.8 x 27.2 cm), Plate: 12 3/8 x 9 3/4 inches (31.5 x 24.8 cm), and Image: 9 x 7 11/16 inches (22.8 x 19.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "George Gower"; lower right: "Gower"; on back, lower right: "5/ | proof | * | 25th | IR74/2027"
Lettered within image, upper left: "Thogh yovthfull wayes me did intyse from armies and uerlewke | yet thanckt be God for his god gift, wch. long did rest as slepe | Now skill reuyues wth gayne, and lyfe to leade in rest | by pencils trade. wherefore I must, esteme of it as best | The proef wher of thies ballance show and armes my birth displ ^[vcy] a | what Parents bare by just renowme, my skill mayntenes the prayes | And them whose vertew, fame and acts, haue won for me this shield | Irenerence muche wh. feruyee eke and thanks to them do yield."; within image, lower right, on palette: "Ano dni 1579"; lower right: "Js: Basire del. et Sc."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coat of arms | costume | dividers | man | paint | paintbrush | palette | portrait | ruff | scale (weighing device) | self-portrait
- Associated People:
- Gower, George (ca. 1838-died 1596), portrait and decorative painter
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Basire, 1730–1802, British, George Gower, 1800
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.