- Additional Title(s):
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, yellow-cream laid paper
- 12 1/4 × 9 7/8 inches (31.1 × 25.1 cm) and 11 9/16 × 9 13/16 inches (29.3 × 24.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol 2 55"; on back, lower right: "£3 | 99"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ipse pinxit."; lower center: "Philippus Mercier"; lower right: "I. Faber fecit 1735"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | books | bookshelves | canvas | cap | coat | easel | interior | man | paintbrushes | painting | painting (visual work) | palette | portrait | self-portrait | studio (work space) | tassels
- Associated People:
- Mercier, Philip [formerly Philippe] (1691–1760), painter and etcher
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, pp. 3, 27, no. 68, pl. 13c, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA) [YCBA]
Julia Marciari-Alexander, This other Eden, paintings from the Yale Center for British Art , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1998, p. 205, ND1314.3 Y36 1998 (YCBA) [YCBA]