- Young Male Shearing a Sheep
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/4 x 10 3/16 inches (36.2 x 25.9 cm), Plate: 12 13/16 x 8 7/8 inches (32.6 x 22.5 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 8 13/16 inches (28.8 x 22.4 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ph. Mercier Pinxt:"; lower center: "Rural Life."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agriculture | boy | child | coat | genre subject | labor | laborer | livestock | peasant | rural | shears | sheep | working
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 46, no. 179, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, Young Male Shearing a Sheep, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.