Dr. John Fothergill
- Additional Title(s):
John Fothergill M.D. F.R.S.
- Materials & Techniques:
- Stipple engraving in brown ink on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 5/16 x 6 7/16 inches (23.6 x 16.4 cm), Plate: 8 1/8 x 5 1/4 inches (20.7 x 13.3 cm), Image: 4 5/16 x 3 7/16 inches (11 x 8.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "Juer 1790"; far lower right: "2/6"
Lettered, center left on oval: "R.d Livesay pine[?r]"; center right on oval: "F. Bartolozzi sculp:"; center: "JOHN FOTHERGILL M.D. F.R.S."; lower center: (in latin) "Cui suas artes, sua dona laetus | Et herbam et Venae salientis ictum | Scire concefsit, celerem et medendi | Delius usum."; lowest center: "From a Bust in the Possesion of D.r Lettsom"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buttons | coat | medicine | oval | physician | portrait | science | wig
- Associated Places:
- England | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Fothergill, John (1712–1780), physician and naturalist
Lettsom, John Coakley (1744–1815), physician and philanthropist
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Dr. John Fothergill, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.