"This is fairy gold, boy, and will prove so"
- Additional Title(s):
Bohemia. A Desert Country Near the Sea: 'Winter's Tale', Act III, Scene III
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching, line engraving and stipple engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 13/16 x 13 1/16 inches (42.7 x 33.1 cm), Plate: 14 1/4 x 10 15/16 inches (36.2 x 27.8 cm), Image: 7 3/4 x 6 inches (19.7 x 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper right: "P122"; lower right: "1 | [...]"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by W. Hamilton R.A."; lower center: "Engraved by James Heath Historical Engraver to His Majesty and H.R.H. the Prince of Wales. | WINTER'S TALE. | Shep. This is fairy gold, boy, and will prove so. | Published April 1804 by J Heath, Russell Place, Fitzrou Square, and G. & J. Robinson, Paternoster Row."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | boy | coastline | coins | flowers (plants) | garden | garlands | gold | literary theme | man | ocean | plays by William Shakespeare | shepherd | shepherd's crook | The Winter's Tale, Act III, Scene III | The Winter's Tale, play by William Shakespeare | tree
- Associated People:
- Perdita (character in The Winter's Tale)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Heath, 1757–1834, British, "This is fairy gold, boy, and will prove so", 1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.