- The Plains of Marathon
- Watercolor over graphite with scratching out on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 13/16 x 10 5/16 inches (17.3 x 26.2 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, lower center: "Tumulus of the Persions | who fell | at Marathon. | J. Varley. 1834"
Signed in brown ink, lower right: "J. Varley."; signed and dated in brown ink, on back, lower center: "J. Varley. 1834"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- burial mound | dog (animal) | figure | landscape | man | mound | mountains | path | sepulchral monuments | shore (landform) | smoke | smoke | Tumulus | walking
- Associated Places:
- Attikí | Europe | Greece | Marathón | Sterea Ellás-Évvoia
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, The Plains of Marathon, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.