The Cambrian Coast & Dee Valley
- ca. 1920
- Sheet: 40 1/4 x 50 inches (102.2 x 127 cm)
Lettered, upper right: "The Rivals" | Tre'r Cewtri (The Giants' Town) | Important | prehistoric | remains | The grave of | Llewelyn's famous | hound at | Beddgelert | Dinas | Nevin | Afine Golf course | Lleyn Peninsula | Glyn-y-Weddw | Pwllheli | Llanbedrog | Albersoch | A Regatta | in August | Dick of | Aberdaron | taught | himself | thirteen | languages | Bardsey Island | farmed for centuries | as the Isle of Saints | 20,000 Saints are said | to be buried there | Prince Madog sailed from | Tremadoc, near imadoc, | to America in 12th Century | Afon Wen | Criccieth | Borth | -y- | gest |Black Rock | Shell | Island | Dyffryn | on - Sea" ; upper center: " PARADISE FOR THE TOURIST, THE SPORTSMAN AND THE ANTIQUARY | Snowdon (3560 ft.) | Slabe Quarries | Bettws-y Coed | frequented by | David Cox | the artist | Festiniog | Blaenau Festiniog | Penrhyn- | deudraeth | Port Meirion | Lake | Bala | Bala | Llanberis | Llanuwchllyn | King Arthur's home | according to the | poet Spenser" ; upper right: "Wrexham | Rhos | Ruabon | Chirk | Llangollen | Valle | Crucis | Abbey | Corwen | Llandderfel | church has | wooden images | associated with | Saint Derfel | River Dee | Plas Newydd, the | home of the Ladies | of Llangollen | Glynceiriog | Birthplace of John | Ceiriog Hughes, the | Burns of Wales | Pistyll Rhaiar | a waterfall 250ft. high ; center left: "Bardsey Island | famed for centuries | as the Isle of Saints. | 20,000 Saints are said | to be buried there | Prince Madog sailed from | Tremadoc, near Portmadoc, | to America in 12th. Century | Barmouth | This estuary has been | called the 8th Wonder | of Wales | Owein | Glyndwr hid | in a cave at | Tonfanau | Harlech | An annual choir- | festival at Castle" ; center: "Llanbedr & | Pensarn | Lake Irddyn | and traces of | an ancient city | The Bard Taliesin prophesized | of the Ancient Britons - | Their Lord they shall praise | Their language they shall keep | Their land they shall lose | Except wild Wales | Gold | Mines | Curfew | rings at | 9 p.m. | Dolgelley | Rallying point of | Owain Glyndwr's men" center right: "Oswestry | Llanrhaiadr | -yn- mochnant | Birthplace of Bishop | Morgan, first translator | of the Bible into Welsh | Breidden | "Old Parr" was | born here in | 1483 and lived | for 152 years | From | shrewsbury | Lake Vyrnwy | an inhabited valley | flooded to form a | reservoir for | Liverpool's | water-supply | Pistyll Rhaiadr | a waterfall 250ft high" ; lower right: "Dinas | Mawddwy | holds a Court Leet | twice a year. Its | men were noted | for boldness | The Seven Wonders of Wales | Pistyll Rhaiadr and Wrexham Steeple, | Snowdown's Mountain without its people, | Overton Yew-trees, St. Winifred's Wells, | Llangollen Bridge and Gresford Bells | Welshpool | Powys Castle, or | Castell Coch, is here | Montgomery | A busy centre | in the earliest | British times | Llanfair | Caereinion | has a Roman | Encampment | Newtown | Robert Owen, | Philanthropist | was born here | in 1771 | Llanidloes | noted for sheep | and wool, and | formerly for lead ; lower center: "Aberystwyth | The castle ruins | date from 1210 | Devil's Bridge | Bow Street | Mynach | Falls | Elan Valley | the source of | Birmingham's | Water | Rhayader | Plynlimmon (2468 ft.) | Miles of | golden | sand! | Aberdovey | Towyn | has a fine | Norman | church | Machynlleth | where Owain Glyndwr | was crowned King of Wales | Dolgoch Falls | The Bells of | Aberdovey | Corris | Cader Iris (2927 ft) the | Chair of Idris | an Intellectual Giant | Dinas Mawddwy | holds a Court Leet | twice a year. Its | men were noted | for boldness | Dolgelley | Rallying point of | Owain Glyndwr's men | Curfew | rings at | 9 p.m. | Gold | Mines" ; lower left: "The | Cambrian | Coast | & Dee Valley | GWR Other Rlys | Narrow Gauge Rlys | Owain | Glyndrwr hid | in a cave at | Tonfanau | Towyn | has a fine | Norman Church | Miles of | golden sand!"
Signed lower right: "J P Sayer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Henry S. Hacker, Yale BA 1965
- Copyright Status:
- © National Railway Museum / SSPL
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | bridge (built work) | campgrounds | cartographic material | cave | rivers | Roman | sheep | tourism
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
J. P. Sayer, active 1920, British, The Cambrian Coast & Dee Valley, ca. 1920
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.