- A View of the Great Cohoes Falls, on the Mohawk River
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 7/8 × 23 5/8 inches (45.4 × 60 cm), Plate: 14 1/4 × 20 5/8 inches (36.2 × 52.4 cm), and Image: 12 1/2 × 19 7/8 inches (31.8 × 50.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "D151 | <A62978> | 54"
Lettered below image, lower right: "View of the Great Cohoes Falls, on the Mohawk River; | The Fall about Seventy feet; the River near a Quarter of a Mile broad."; lower right: "C.4: | Vue de la Grande Cataracte de Cohoes, sur la Riviere des Mohawks; La Hateur est l'environ 70 pieds; l sa Riviere a pres l'un quart de Mille de large."; lower center: "Sketch'd on the SPOT by his Excellency Governor Pownal. Painted by Paul Sandby, & Engraved by Wm. Elliot. | London. Printed for John Bowles at No. 13 in Cornhill, Robert Sayer at No. 53 in Fleet Street, Thos. Jeffryes the Corner of St Martin's Lane in the Strand, Carington Bowles at No. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, and Henry Parker at No. 82 in Cornhill."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Elliot, active 1774, died 1792, British, A View of the Great Cohoes Falls, on the Mohawk River, 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.