Fives played at the Tennis court Leicester Fields
- Additional Title(s):
Games played in and around London
- ca. 1784
- Pen and black ink and brown ink and watercolor
- Sheet: 6 x 8in. (15.2 x 20.3cm) and Frame: 7 11/16 × 9 1/4 × 5/16 inches (19.6 × 23.5 × 0.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and ink, lower center: "Fives played at the Tennis Court Leicester Fields, " (first three words crossed out : "The Game of"); label on the back of the frame giving the artist name, title, medium, dimensions and states "John Basket (Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York | Dec. 4) 1975 | The Property of the estate of the late Mrs. Chas. | E. Dunlap (sold by order of the executors), Sotheby | Parke Bernet, N.Y., 12/4/75 (342 with other five)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- courts, tennis USE tennis+courts (built works) | fives | games | genre subject | leisure | sporting art | tennis
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Leicester | Leicestershire | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, Fives played at the Tennis court Leicester Fields, ca. 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.