Four Corners Played at the Swan, Chelsea
- Additional Title(s):
Games played in and around London
- ca. 1784
- Pen and black ink and brown ink and watercolor
- Sheet: 6 x 8in. (15.2 x 20.3cm) and Frame: 7 11/16 × 9 1/4 × 5/16 inches (19.6 × 23.5 × 0.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and ink, lower center: "Four Corners Played at the Swan Chelsea."; Label on the back of the frame giving the artist name, title, medium, dimensions and states "John Basket (Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York | Dec. 4) 1975 | The Property of the estate of the late Mrs. Chas. | E. Dunlap (sold by order of the executors), Sotheby | Parke Bernet, N.Y., 12/4/75 (342 with other five)"
Lettered center left within image:"The | Tea Room | No smoking"; center: "No Tru[..]"; center right: "Cold Bath"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baths, shower | games | genre subject | leisure | pipe | smoking (activity) | sporting art | tea room
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Europe | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, Four Corners Played at the Swan, Chelsea, ca. 1784