IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Justinian Gantz, 1802–1862, The Ootacamund Hunt Meeting at Mr. Chalmers' House at Gindy, Madras, 1845, 1845
The Ootacamund Hunt Meeting at Mr. Chalmers' House at Gindy, Madras, 1845
- Additional Title(s):
The Jackal Pack
- Graphite, pen and black ink, and watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 13/16 × 20 3/16 inches (32.6 × 51.3 cm), Mount: 14 7/16 × 17 7/16 inches (36.6 × 44.3 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge (built work) | carriage | castle | dogs (animals) | estate | field | horse (animal) | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | house | hunt | hunters | hunting | landscape | manor house | meeting | men | sporting art | sports | trees
- Associated Places:
- Asia | India | Madras | Ootacamund | Tamil Nadu
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The British in India brought their pastimes with them, including their enthusiasm for country sports such as hunting with hounds in full scarlet dress. The Ootacamund Club was founded in 1841 by Captain Douglas and other members of the Seventy-fourth Highland Regiment then stationed in India. In place of foxes, the hunt’s quarry was indigenous species of deer, as well as bison or even tiger. It still hunts today and is said to have stopped hunting only once in its history during the Indian Rebellion of 1857. Justinian Gantz was born in Austria and moved to India when the East India Company employed his father as a draftsman. He took on his father’s profession as well as painting miniatures and practicing architecture. Gallery label for A Decade of Gifts and Acquisitions (Yale Center for British Art, 2017-06-01 - 2017-08-13)
A Decade of Gifts and Acquisitions (Yale Center for British Art, 2017-06-01 - 2017-08-13) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition] [Exhibition Description]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.