Bathing Machine on the Common, near Southsea Castle
- Watercolor, pen, and gray ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/4 x 7 5/8 inches (12.1 x 19.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "Bathing Machine on the Common, near Southsea Castle"
Signed and dated in black ink, lower right: "JN 1788"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | bathing machine | beach | castle | child | children | common | dog (animal) | figures | genre subject | horse (animal) | leisure | marine art | men | ship | waves (natural events) | wind | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Hampshire | Southsea | Southsea Castle | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Nixon, ca. 1760–1818, British, Bathing Machine on the Common, near Southsea Castle, 1788
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.