IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, St. Augustine's Gate, Canterbury, between 1792 and 1793
St. Augustine's Gate, Canterbury
- Additional Title(s):
The Great Gate, St. Augstine's Abbey, Canterbury
- between 1792 and 1793
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/4 x 10 5/8in. (21 x 27cm)
Signed in pen and gray ink, lower right: "W Turner Delin"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castles | clouds | gates | towers | trees
- Associated Places:
- Canterbury | England | Europe | Kent | St. Augustine's Abbey | St. Augustine's Gate | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Julius Bryant, Turner: painting the nation, English Heritage properties as seen by JMW Turner , English Heritage, London, 1996, pp, 32-33, cat. no. 3, NJ18 T85 B78 1996 (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.