- View in Basement Story under House of Lords
- between 1800 and 1807
- Graphite and pen and black ink on slightly textured, medium thickness, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 × 10 5/8 inches (36.8 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper right: "35"; in pen and black ink, lower left: "View in Basement story under House of Lords at C"'; in pen and black ink, upper right: "Door at F"; in pen and black ink, left: "Door at E"; in graphite, upper left, numbers "1", "3", "5", and "6" and some dimensions given; inscribed on verso in pen and black ink, center: "After taking there sketches of the Basement on coming into | the streets I found there had been (during the few hours engaged | on them) a most dreadful storm, (not here in the Basement) | and there was scarce a house in Town but what had sustained | some damage; many trees in the Parks blown down &c."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | basement | interior view | survey
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | House of Lords | London | Palace of Westminster | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to John Carter, 1748–1817, British, View in Basement Story under House of Lords, between 1800 and 1807
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.