Survey view of a lobby, Palace of Westminster
- Pen and black ink on smooth, thin, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/8 × 8 11/16 inches (25.7 × 22.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink throughout, including upper center: "There seems to be light from this top"; pen and brown ink, right: "the window looks out upon | a stone wall, except that | part which is crossed by diagonal | lines, which is sky'; pen and brown ink, left: "all above the cornice is of a dirty stone color plaster"; pen and brown ink, bottom center: "The whole of the lower part is dark oak wainscotting - all beyond the two doorways in stone work - | through the left doorway a winding staircase going up & down, apparently lighted from the top. | The floor covered with rush matting | Sky seen through the small window in right hand doorway."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | interior view | survey
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | London | Palace of Westminster | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
unknown artist, Survey view of a lobby, Palace of Westminster, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.