Part of the Old Dormitory
- Graphite, pen and brown ink, and gray wash on slightly textured, medium, white laid paper
- Sheet: 8 3/16 × 11 7/8 inches (20.8 × 30.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, top of sheet: "This remain | of antiq.y | was found in digging to level the surface of the Great Deans Yard, Westminster, June 29th 1815 | Mr J. Paine architect recollects ancient buildings standing on this site in 1754"; in graphite lower center: "Part of the old Dormitory"; in graphite, lower right: "Drawn by Carter [?JSA]"; inscribed on verso in 20th century hand in graphite, lower right: "L[?uase] by Carter"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | England | London | Palace of Westminster | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to John Carter, 1748–1817, British, Part of the Old Dormitory, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.