Preparatory sketch for 'Dr Syntax Sketching the Lake'
- Additional Title(s):
Sketch for "Dr. Syntax Sketching the Lake."
- Pen and brown ink with graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/2 x 9 3/8 inches (16.5 x 23.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower left: "But Grizzle in her haste to pass | Lur'd by a tempting tuft of grass | a luckless slip now chanced to take | And sous'd the doctor in the Lake; in pen and brown ink, center right: Slow Brute he cry'd your noisy glee | I do not want to hear - but see...- Tho' by Picturesquith Laws | you're better too with open Jaws"
Watermark: similar to Heawood 1340 but with "...lineux Johnston/ & A Lee" in mirror image below plumed symbol
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dog (animal) | genre subject | horse (animal) | lake | man | sketching
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Patricia Phagan, Thomas Rowlandson, pleasures and pursuits in Georgian England , Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. London, 2011, pp. 136-37, no. 50, NJ18 R79 P53 2011 + OVERSIZE (YCBA)