Portrait of Francis Moore
- Additional Title(s):
Franciscus Moore de Faley Comitatu Berks Miles Serviens Ad Legem
- Part Of:
- ca. 1663
- Etching, stipple engraving and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, brown laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/16 x 6 11/16 inches (28.1 x 17 cm), Plate: 7 15/16 x 5 3/8 inches (20.1 x 13.6 cm), and Image: 6 5/16 x 5 1/8 inches (16 x 13 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, lower left: "First state"; lower center: "1558 + 1621 | Front to his Reports"; on back, in brown ink, upper left (difficult to decipher hand-writing): "vol fol: 116: Ld Chand(?) | Ador'd to [..] want Am. john(?) | When he was made Chief Justice | of the [...]"; upper right: "Thos: Brooks | 1719"; lower left in graphite: "M | @30351 | ax"; lower right in brown ink: "[...]Brooke(?s)"
Lettered, center, around image: "BERKS MILES SERVIENS AD LEGEM. (flower) FRANCISCVS MOORE DE FALEY IN COMITATV"; lower right: "W Faithorn fec:"; lower center in ribbon: "NIHLL VTILE QVOD NON HONESTVM"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Janet and James Sale, Yale BA 1960
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- banner | cap | cloak | cuffs | gaze | gesturing | holding | lawyer | oval | paper | politician | portrait | posing | reticella | ribbon | ruff | scrolls | solemn | thoughtful
- Associated People:
- Moore, Sir Francis (1559–1621), lawyer and politician
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, ca. 1620–1691, British, Portrait of Francis Moore, ca. 1663
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.