IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, The Sailor's Return, undated
The Sailor's Return
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Graphite Sketch
- Watercolor, with pen and brown, red-brown, and gray ink, over graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 8 11/16 x 6 15/16 inches (22.1 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower left: "The Sailors Return"; inscribed on verso, lower center: "1[?]6 | [chasais?] [?] [blow...?] [print?] [Dol...?] | our 22-16 [ent?] [?]2 - 23 | [...] [...] Rowlandson | The Sailors Return"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coins | doorway | genre subject | sailors | stools | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.