- Title Page of "A Series of Sixteen Etchings of Scenes of the Thames and Other Subjects"
- Letterpress on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 × 9 1/2 inches (38.1 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "From FAW | [...] | Xmas 1890"
Lettered upper center: "A SERIES OF | SIXTEEN ETCHINGS | OF | SCENES ON THE THAMES | AND OTHER SUBJECTS. | BY | JAMES WHISTLER."; lower left: "1. Black-Lion Wharf. | 2. Wapping Wharf. | 3. The Forge. | 4. Old Westminster Bridge. | 5. Wapping. | 6. Old Hungerford. | 7. The Pool. | 8. The Fiddler"; lower right: "9. The Lime-Burners. | 10. The Little Pool. | 11. Eagle Wharf. | 12. Limehouse. | 13. Thames Warehouses. | 14. Milbank. | 15. Early Morning (Battersea). | 16. Chelsea Bridge and Church."; lower center: "LONDON: | ELLIS AND GREEN, 33 KING STREET, COVENT GARDEN. | MANCHESTER AND LIVERPOOL: THOMAS AGNEW AND SONS."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Robert N. Whittemore, Yale BS 1943
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- etchings | text | title page
- Associated Places:
- England | London | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James McNeill Whistler, 1834–1903, American, active in Britain (from 1859), Title Page of "A Series of Sixteen Etchings of Scenes of the Thames and Other Subjects", 1871
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.