Île de la Cité, Paris
- Etching and drypoint, printed from canceled plate on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed to plate): 8 × 11 1/2 inches (20.3 × 29.2 cm) and Image: 8 x 11 1/2 inches (20.3 x 29.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "a19715"; in graphite, lower center: "Isle de la Cité"
Lettered inside image, lower left: "Whistler- | Dec. 1859."; lower left: "Paris de la Galerie d'Ap."
Signed with graphite butterfly monogram, lower left
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Robert N. Whittemore, Yale BS 1943
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | bridges (built works) | buildings | carts | cathedral | chimneys | church | cityscape | men | pillars | railing | street | towers | trees | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- Europe | France | Notre-Dame de Paris | Paris | Île de la Cité
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James McNeill Whistler, 1834–1903, American, active in Britain (from 1859), Île de la Cité, Paris, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.