- Etching and stipple engraving on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 3/8 × 22 11/16 inches (46.7 × 57.6 cm) and Plate: 17 × 20 inches (43.2 × 50.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "1"; inscribed, lower left: "Harriet Wright"; inscribed, lower center: "The Captive"; inscribed in graphite on verso, lower right:"Proof before Title | proof II"; inscribed on verso, center right: "733"
Printed lower left: "J Wright Pinxt."; printed lower center: "Publishd as the Act Directs Oct 1 1786 by John & Josiah Boydell Cheapside London"; printed lower right: "T. Ryder Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Dr. and Mrs. John E. Larkin Jr. in honor of Jules D. Prown
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chains | correctional institution | genre subject | jail | jug | prisoner
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.