- Etching and stipple engraving on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 3/8 × 22 11/16 inches (46.7 × 57.6 cm) and Plate: 17 × 20 inches (43.2 × 50.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "1"; inscribed, lower left: "Harriet Wright"; inscribed, lower center: "The Captive"; inscribed in graphite on verso, lower right:"Proof before Title | proof II"; inscribed on verso, center right: "733"
Printed lower left: "J Wright Pinxt."; printed lower center: "Publishd as the Act Directs Oct 1 1786 by John & Josiah Boydell Cheapside London"; printed lower right: "T. Ryder Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Dr. and Mrs. John E. Larkin Jr. in honor of Jules D. Prown
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chains | correctional institution | genre subject | jail | jug | prisoner
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Captive Bodies: British Prisons, 1750-1900 (Yale Center for British Art, 2018-08-27 - 2018-12-17) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Art in Focus : Joseph Wright and the Spectacle of Science (Yale Center for British Art, 2007-03-30 - 2007-06-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]