A View at Blackwall
- Watercolor, graphite, pen and brown ink, and pen and gray ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 7 5/8 x 10 inches (19.4 x 25.4 cm), Sheet: 4 15/16 x 7 3/8 inches (12.5 x 18.7 cm)
Inscribed in dark gray ink, on mount, lower center: "A View at Blackwall"; inscribed in dark gray ink, on mount, lower left: "4[2?]; in dark gray ink, lower right, on mount: "WE"; inscribed on vers in graphite, lower right: "D.601"; with pen in dark gray ink, upper right: "No.89"; In brown ink, upper left: "10- | 15-| 5- | 36"; in brown ink, center left: "21.5 | 4.10 | 20 | 80 | 123.5 |36 |69 [...]"
Watermark: similar to Heawood 3460; collector's mark: William Esdaile (Lugt 2617); collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | genre subject | marine art | men | sailors | ship | shore (landform) | suitcase | view | water | women
- Associated Places:
- Blackwall | England | Europe | London | Tower Hamlets | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, A View at Blackwall, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.