Dr. Syntax Bound to a Tree by Highwaymen
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor with pen and brown and red ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 1/4 x 7 1/4 inches (13.3 x 18.4 cm), Mount: 8 3/8 x 10 5/8 inches (21.3 x 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "Doctor Syntax, Bound to a tree by Highwaymen. | Original drawing for Syntax tour. Vol I. p. 14. | Doctor Syntax | Bound to a tree by Highwaymen."; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "12"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | country (rural landscape) | dog (animal) | genre subject | man | road | trees | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Dr. Syntax Bound to a Tree by Highwaymen, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.