- Classical City in Landscape
- Brown wash with pen and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper mounted on board
- Mount: 8 1/4 x 11 1/16 inches (21 x 28.1 cm), Sheet: 8 1/4 x 11 1/16 inches (21 x 28.1 cm), and Image: 6 7/16 x 9 1/4 inches (16.4 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in white chalk, on back of mount, upper center: "3375-3"; in brown ink, on back of mount, center: "This Drawing was designed and executed by | J. Martin expressly for the late Benjm. West. P.R.A. | and has never been engraved - 1816."; in graphite, on back of mount, lower left: "19"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "JMartin | 1816"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Michael D. Coe, Yale MAH 1968
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cityscape | Classical | columns | genre subject | landscape | mountains | path | pond | road | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Classical City in Landscape, 1816
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.