- Kitty Overcome
- Watercolor with pen and red-brown and brown ink, over graphite, with pen and gray ink and wash line on border on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 5 7/16 x 7 13/16 inches (13.8 x 19.8 cm) and Mount: 8 1/2 x 11 inches (21.6 x 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "N36 Kitty not to be overcome by the Doctors elocution - her suffers his passions | to overcome his Reason and is caught in the act of taking unwarrantable liberties"; in pen in red brown ink, verso, lower center: "The Doctors Passions overcomes his reason and attempts unwarrant (edge of paper) | Liberties with Kitty"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cat (domestic cat) | chair | churn | dishes | dog (animal) | door | elderly | genre subject | man | mouse | shelves | steps | Table - mixing | women | youth
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Kitty Overcome, 1821
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.