Drawing for the Frontispiece of Erasmus Darwin's "The Botanic Garden"
- Additional Title(s):
Flora Attired by the Elements
- Graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 3/4 x 6 3/8 inches (22.2 x 16.2 cm) and Frame: 18 × 15 1/8 × 1 3/4 inches (45.7 × 38.4 × 4.4 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite: "Fuseli evidently drew this and A. Smith engraved it | The engraving being published June 1st 1791 by J. Johnson. | St. Pauls Churchyard."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Lowell Libson
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | butterfly | earth | fire | flowers (plants) | garden | mirror | oval | portrait | religious and mythological subject | rings | urn | water | wind | women
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Fuseli, 1741–1825, Swiss, active in Britain (1766–70; 1779 on), Drawing for the Frontispiece of Erasmus Darwin's "The Botanic Garden", 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.