A Mother with Her Child in Her Arms Flying upon the Ramparts of a City in Flames
- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as "Andromache" Escaping from the Burning of Troy; The Fire
- Materials & Techniques:
- Brown ink and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 19 1/2 x 16 inches (49.5 x 40.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, lower right: "From the sale of | Mrs. Romney 1844"; in graphite, lower right: "Romney (Geo) | Lady Hamilton as "Andromache" | escaping from the Burning of Troy"
Collector's mark: Thomas Esmond Lowinsky (Lugt 2420a)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arms | baby | child | children | city | dress | figure study | fire | flames | horse (animal) | kerchief | man | mother | ramparts | religious and mythological subject | smoke | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
George Romney, 1734–1802, British, A Mother with Her Child in Her Arms Flying upon the Ramparts of a City in Flames, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.