Dr. Syntax Copying the Wit of the Window
- Additional Title(s):
Amuses Himself at an Inn with Reading the Poetry on the Windows
Verso: Graphite Sketch
- between 1809 and 1812
- Watercolor with pen and gray and brown ink, over graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/8 x 8 3/16 inches (13.7 x 20.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and gray ink, lower left: "Amuses himself at an Inn with Reading the Poetry on the Windows ---"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bone | candles | candlesticks | chairs | copying | dinner | dishes | dog (animal) | doorway | eating | elderly | fireplace | food | genre subject | hats | inn | kettle | kissing | linens, table | maid | meal | men | shelves, china | table (support furniture) | teapot | window | Wit | woman | writing (processes) | youth
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, Dr. Syntax Copying the Wit of the Window, between 1809 and 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.