The Hedger and Ditcher
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor with pen and red-brown ink over graphite; verso: blue watercolor blot on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/2 x 4 9/16 inches (16.5 x 11.6 cm)
Inscribed in pen and red-brown ink, lower left: "The Hedger and Ditcher"
Collector's mark: Henry Scipio Reitlinger (Lugt 2274a); collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Signed in pen and red-brown ink, lower right: "T Rowlandson"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- genre subject | horse (animal) | men | shovel | trees
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Penelope McElwee, The non-representation of the agricultural labourers in 18th and 19th century English paintings : an exploration into the artistic conventions followed by the aristocracy and landowning classes in representations of the agricultural labourers ..., Newcastle upon Tyne, 2016, pp. 74-75, 112-13, fig. 6-1, NX650.L32 M34 2016 (YCBA) [YCBA]