The Grand Master or the Adventures of Qui Hi? in HIndostan
- Additional Title(s):
Strange Figures near the Cave of Elephanta, Bombay: Three Groups of Caricature Portraits, Some Wearing Horns
- Watercolor with pen and red-brown and gray ink, over graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige, wove paper
- 5 x 8 inches (12.7 x 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and red-brown ink, upper left: "AUSPICIO - REGIS."; in dark gray ink, upper right: "ET. SENATUS ANGELIA."; in pen and red-brown ink, lower center: "STRANGE FIGURES NEAR ('near' underlined) THE CAVE OF ELEPHANTA. 1814 --- BOMBAY."; in graphite, lower right: "[illegible words]"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "plate at p 252 of | Adventures of Qui Hi"
Watermark: [similar to Heawood 3250 or 3251]; Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- elderly | genre subject | horns | men | satire | youth
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Rowlandson, 1756–1827, British, The Grand Master or the Adventures of Qui Hi? in HIndostan, 1814
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.