Kirkstall Abbey from the N.W.
- ca. 1792
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, pen and brown ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper, mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- 6 5/8 × 8 3/4 inches (16.8 × 22.2 cm) and 9 3/4 x 11 3/4 inches (24.8 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "Girtin"; Verso: inscrbed in brown ink, left center: "Began erecting A.D. 1152"; in graphite, center: "X"; in graphite, center right: "Kirkstall Abby" | "8"; in graphite; lower right: "2"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | clouds | cow | grass | ruins | sky | stone | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Kirkstall | Kirkstall Abbey | Leeds | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Kirkstall Abbey from the N.W, ca. 1792