Kirkstall Abbey from the N.W.
- ca. 1792
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, pen and brown ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper, mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 × 8 3/4 inches (16.8 × 22.2 cm) and Mount: 9 3/4 x 11 3/4 inches (24.8 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "Girtin"; Verso: inscrbed in brown ink, left center: "Began erecting A.D. 1152"; in graphite, center: "X"; in graphite, center right: "Kirkstall Abby" | "8"; in graphite; lower right: "2"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | clouds | cow | grass | ruins | sky | stone | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Kirkstall | Kirkstall Abbey | Leeds | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Kirkstall Abbey from the N.W, ca. 1792
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.