Writtle Church, Essex
- ca. 1795
- Watercolor over graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 × 9 5/8 inches (18.4 × 24.4 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand (?), in graphite, ll: Writtle Church near Chelmsford Essex; and in graphite, under window, ll: small stones; inscribed in graphite, verso: Girtin; and in graphite, verso: Writtle Church near Chelmsford Essex.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | stone | windows
- Associated Places:
- England | Essex | Europe | United Kingdom | Writtle | Writtle Church
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Writtle Church, Essex, ca. 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.