Saint Cuthbert's Holy Island
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, and graphite on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 x 12 inches (25.4 x 30.5 cm), Mount: 13 3/4 x 16 5/8 inches (34.9 x 42.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen in brown ink, verso, center: "St Cuthbert Holy Island | Nothumberland | Girtin"; in graphite, lower right: "2559"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Girtin 1797"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | horse (animal) | ruins | stone | woman
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Holy Island | Lindisfarne | Northumberland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Critique of Reason : Romantic Art, 1760–1860 (Yale University Art Gallery, 2015-03-06 - 2015-07-26) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Thomas Girtin and the Art of Watercolour (Tate Britain, 2002-07-04 - 2002-09-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Thomas Girtin (Yale Center for British Art, 1986-01-21 - 1986-03-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Presences of Nature - British Landscape 1780-1830 (Yale Center for British Art, 1982-10-20 - 1983-02-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]