Saint Cuthbert's Holy Island
- Watercolor with pen in brown ink over graphite on thick, moderately textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 x 12 inches (25.4 x 30.5 cm) and Mount: 13 3/4 x 16 5/8 inches (34.9 x 42.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen in brown ink, verso, center: "St Cuthbert Holy Island | Nothumberland | Girtin"; in graphite, lower right: "2559"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Girtin 1797"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | horse (animal) | ruins | stone | woman
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Holy Island | Lindisfarne | Northumberland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, Saint Cuthbert's Holy Island, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.