The Great Temple of Amon Karnak, The Hypostyle Hall
- Watercolor and gouache with scratching out and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 19 1/4 x 13 inches (48.9 x 33 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "<...>ES | KARNAC | Nov. 27th 1838"; in brushed gray watercolor, lower left: "Karnac [. . .] 1838"
Signed and dated in brushed gray watercolor, lower right: "David Roberts R.A. 1838"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- columns | horse (animal) | men | temple
- Associated Places:
- Africa | Al Karnak | As Said | Egypt | Luxor | Qina | Temple of Amon
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Malcolm Cormack, Oil on water, oil sketches by British watercolorists , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1986, pp. 48-49, fig. 49, ND467 C67 (YCBA)