From under the Portico of the Temple of Edfu, Upper Egypt
- Watercolor, gouache and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 5/8 x 19 3/4 inches (34.6 x 50.2 cm)
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower right: "David Roberts. R.A. 1846"
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "<...> from Under the Portico of The Temple of Edfou Upper Egypt"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | hieroglyphics | men | snake | temple
- Associated Places:
- Africa | As Said | Aswan | Edfu | Egypt | Temple of Edfu
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
David Roberts, artist adventurer 1796-1864, Scottish Arts Council, [Edinburgh], 1981, pp. 25 & 27, cat. no. 16, NJ18 R5422 G85 (YCBA)
John Ruskin, The works of John Ruskin, vol. 1-39, George Allen, London, 1903-1912, p.404, PR5251 C66 1903 (YCBA)
The lure of the east : British Orientalist painting: wall labels, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2008, p. , V 2577 (YCBA) V 2577
The lure of the East, British orientalist painting, 1830-1925 , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2008, p. 17, V 1879 (YCBA)
Scott Wilcox, British watercolors, drawings of the 18th and 19th centuries from the Yale Center for British Art , Hudson Hill Press, New York, 1985, no. 62, pl. 62, ND1928 W533 1985 (YCBA)