- View of the Tryall in Two Positions
- Pen and black ink and gray wash over graphite on medium, slightley textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 1/8 × 21 1/8 inches (38.4 × 53.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "A VIEW OF THE TRYALL WILLIAM SAUNDERS Comm.dr"
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "N. Pocock. 1779"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The U Collection. In appreciation of Choh Shiu and Man Foo U, loving parents, and Dorothea and Frank Cockett, dear friends
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | coat of arms | commander | crest | flags | marine art | military art | sails | sea | seascape | ships | warship
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Eleanor Hughes, Seascapes : marine paintings and watercolors from the U Collection [wall labels], , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2009, p. , V 2165 (YCBA)
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, pp. 240, 201 (fn 1), ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Nicholas Pocock, 1740–1821, British, View of the Tryall in Two Positions, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.