The Mars in Three Positions
- Gray wash and pen and black ink on medium, slightly texture, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 × 21 1/8 inches (38.1 × 53.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "THE MARS PRIVATE SHIP OF WAR JOHN CHILCOT COMMANDER."
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "Nicholas Pocock fct. 1779"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The U Collection. In appreciation of Choh Shiu and Man Foo U, loving parents, and Dorothea and Frank Cockett, dear friends
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | coat of arms | commander | crest | flags | marine art | men | military art | sailboat | sails | sea | seascape | ships | warship
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, pp. 240, 201 (fn 1), ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA)