The Destruction of Pompeii
- Watercolor and pastel on medium, cream, slightly textured wove paper mounted on card
- 14 3/8 x 10 3/8 inches (36.5 x 26.4 cm) and 14 1/2 x 10 5/8 inches (36.8 x 27 cm)
Signed in artist's hand in watercolor lower right: "David Roberts R A"; inscribed on back of mount in graphite upper left: "19 x 24"; on back of mount in graphite center: "David Roberts RA | The Destruction of Pomeii"; on back of mount in graphite center right; "18 x 22"
Signed in watercolor lower right: "David Roberts R A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cityscape | columns | deaths | destruction | figures | fire | historical subject | ruins | volcano
- Associated Places:
- Campania | Italy | Italy | Napoli | Napoli | Pompei
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
David Roberts, 1796–1864, British, The Destruction of Pompeii, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.