Grand Canal Sunset
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper, mounted on thick, slightly textured, beige board
- Mount: 9 x 12 inches (22.8 x 30.5 cm), Sheet: 6 7/16 x 9 3/8 inches (16.3 x 23.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "CO270"; on back of mount, on sticker: "YCBA"; on back of mount, upper center: "Grand Canal Sunset After Turner | B11 (encircled)"; on back of mount, upper right: "[...]P270"; on back of mount, center left: "2129B"; on back of mount, center: "Mc 0211 | 5C345 LC158 Folkstone After Turner (Venice | HB Brabazon) on mat (entire line crossed out)"; on back, lower left, on sticker: "G-0"; on back of mount, lower center: "new Glass to this"
signed in graphite, lower left: "HBB"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | canal | cityscape | dome | gondolas | gondoliers | sunset
- Associated Places:
- Grand Canal | Italy | Veneto | Venezia | Venice
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hercules Brabazon Brabazon, 1821–1906, British, Grand Canal Sunset, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.