- Proposal for a Happy New Year
- after 1850
- Graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper, mounted on thick, smooth, light blue card
- Mount: 16 × 11 5/8 inches (40.6 × 29.5 cm) and Sheet: 9 3/4 × 7 3/8 inches (24.8 × 18.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "Proposal for a Happy New Year | Mr. Punch "GOODBYE! A Happy New Year to you! - (In Melipotamus)" | 1850 | See back. | "Please Mr. Bishop, which is Popery, and which is Puseyism? | Papal aggression 1851."; in black ink, on mount, lower left: "With best wishes for happy hunting | to Edward Perry Rich | frin | Wm. St. Mc Carthy dr. (?) | 11/13/55."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Bequest of Joseph F. McCrindle, Yale LLB 1948
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bishops | caricature | churches | conflict | gesture | holiday | men | New Year | pope | proposal | Puseyism | religious and mythological subject | sketches | top hat
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, Proposal for a Happy New Year, after 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.