George Fox at Launceston Gaol
- Part Of:
- between 1890 and 1911
- Etching and drypoint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- 12 3/16 x 10 1/16 inches (31 x 25.6 cm), 8 7/8 x 5 7/8 inches (22.6 x 15 cm), and 7 11/16 x 5 13/16 inches (19.6 x 14.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "First State"; on back, lower right: "Cumb Journal I. 286-7"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "At the time the Gaoler had said, the Dispute should be I heard one call for me. I stept | to the Stairs-head; and there I saw the Gaoler's Wife on the Stairs, and the Conjurer at the | bottom of the Stairs, holding his Hand behind his Back. I asked him; "Man, what hast thou in | thy Hand behind thy Back? Pluck thy Hand before thee," Said I; "Let's see thy Hand, and | what thou hast in it?" Then in a Rage he pluckt forth his Hand with a naked Knife in it. | and threatned to 'cut my Chaps' (as his Expression was;) Then I was moved of the Lord | to speak sharply to him, which bound him down; so that he never after durst speak to me."; lower right: "G. Fox his Journal. Launceston Gaol. 1656"
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Robert Spence"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the George School, Newtown, Pennsylvania
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coats | correctional institution | dagger | doorway | gesture | hats | historical subject | illustration | interior | knife | men | prison | Religious Society of Friends | stairs | surprise | woman
- Associated Places:
- Cornwall | England | Launceston | Launceston Castle | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Fox, George (1624–1691), a founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Spence, 1871–1964, British, George Fox at Launceston Gaol, between 1890 and 1911
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.